The life of a top model seems to be glamorous – traveling around the world, wearing the latest fashions from top designers, and racking up hundreds of thousands of followers, but it`s hard work getting there, and success relies on a combination of genetics, professionalism, dedication, and sheer luck.
To be a fashion model isn’t nearly as easy as it looks. People constantly judge you on the basis of your looks, your body, your performance, your personality, and just about any other personal trait imaginable.
So, you want to be a model?
Well, you have picked a tough and competitive business that requires a lot of hard work, patience, and the ability to take rejection well and often. There is a simple fact that Norma Schrieffer has shared about the business of modeling but before it. Let`s shed some light on her path!
Being a former supermodel, she had worked with lots of fashion models. Some Novice models whom she helped have taken off into phenomenal careers all around the world. Whereas, some get to disappear into anonymity. She has been around long enough to put the pieces together and has a sense of what it takes to succeed in the industry. She said, “Having a beautiful face and body is not enough to make a model’s career take off”. As you might expect, there’s more to it than that. Here’s some no-punches-pulled advice for anyone who wants to be a successful model.
Well, the former supermodel who turned her runaway success into a multimedia brand is Norma Schrieffer. She has so much wisdom in this fashion industry, Let`s went straight to the source. Read on for her top tips on how to be successful in the fashion industry:
- Make sure about the requirements. Min Height for girls 5’7” and above & male models 6’ and above.
- Have an appropriate modeling agency. Be careful of scams, make proper investigations before signing up with a casting/modeling agency.
- Never lose hope when an agency or coordinator rejects you. You may be very deserving or good-looking, but when certain requirements don’t fit in, you won’t be selected.
- Make connections as much as you can, look presentable all the time.
- Have a backup plan. Make sure you have a degree in hand, modeling/acting should go side by side till you make it big.
- Keep your skin clear. Eat healthily and exercise.
- Be confident. You should have an outrageous personality. Remember there are loads and loads of people around you aiming for the same spot.
- Don’t be late. When you are going to auditions and meetings.
- Portfolios – try and do as many as you can, it helps you create your portfolio and lookbook.
- Try and create a professional Portfolio by renowned fashion Photographer, who can help you quality pix and can also help you with the leads.
The Bottom Line
These above are Norma Schrieffer tips. Based on my experience, that’s pretty good advice. If you’re still interested in being a fashion model after reading all of that, then congratulations! You’re already off to a great start. If you miss any of these, it’s better to cover it up and then start.
For more information, check out my beginner modeling guide.